Vox Jox homepage banner


Archives Index Page

Vox Jox homepage banner
Vox Jox homepage banner


by Rollye James
Claude Hall

Rollye:  “Great to see a gathering planned for Ron Jacobs in Los Angeles.  By the amount of
people who forwarded the invite to me, I know it will be very well attended, and even more so
in spirit by those of us who can’t make it.  If you’d like to go, you may be wondering where to
reply.  Kevin Gershan at CBS has offered to help.  Email your RSVP here.  A lot of
wonderful comments about Ron who we all affectionately call crazy, but Chuck Buell’s email
shows Ron’s kind and gracious side”…

Chuck Buell: “In the mid-1960s, Ron Jacobs' KHJ was not only taking L.A. by storm, but the
entire radio nation in the ears of so many of us Promising Young Hot Shots who were on the
air across the country. I was in my early 20s hosting Afternoon Drive on the Rocky Mountain
Powerhouse, KIMN in Denver. As was common for me then, whenever I took a vacation, part
of it included visiting local radio stations in cities I traveled to. On one notable vacation to Los
Angeles, the only station I wanted to visit was, of course, KHJ.

“So one sunny L.A. afternoon, I went to their Melrose Avenue Studios, walked right in, and
told the receptionist that, if he had a moment, I would like to see Ron Jacobs. She asked if I
had an appointment. An appointment? Never thought about that minor detail! I told her I did
not, but she said she'd let him know I was there anyway. "By the way," she asked, "Just who
ARE you?" I told her my name followed by, "I do afternoon drive at KIMN in Denver." "OK,"
she said, and left me thinking, what a doofus I am. This is KHJ! Of course one would need an
appointment to see the Famous Ron Jacobs!

“After a few moments passed, the door from the lobby to whatever lie behind it opened, and
out stepped . . . Ron Jacobs himself! He extended his hand, introduced himself and asked
what I might want. "Just would like to see the Studios, if that was possible," I answered.
"Sure," he said. "C'mon back." He gave me the usual quick walking tour past the individual
offices and such similar to what was probably found at every other radio station in the world
until we ended up in front of a very large glass pane picture window that framed the actual
KHJ On-Air Studio with none other than the Real Don Steele performing his Radio Show in
all his animated glory.

“I stood there doing my best to control my "blown awayness" from first meeting Jacobs
followed by watching Steele in person doing live what I had only heard up until that moment
on bootlegged air check tapes!  Jacobs and I stood there together watching for a few moments
until he said he had things to do, but for me to hang out there and stay as long as I wanted, and
off he went. I was left standing there by myself in a state of total amazement. And with a KHJ
story and a Ron Jacobs memory forever ingrained in my young 20-something's fertile radio

Claude Hall:  “Just a note to a few people (why waste space in Vox Jox?) regarding my
medical condition.  With the assumption, of course, you’d care to know.
“Two weeks ago, Barbara and I met with the surgeon – Dr. Malhotra -- who did the
“procedure.”  It was an eerie feeling as I sat there listening, essentially, to my death certificate
or whatever it is.  Heart value replacement?  Not much of a chance of surviving the operation. 
Even if I went to Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles where they have the proper equipment.  Stent? 
Not necessary.  My arteries, etc., are clean and my heart is in good shape except for this leaky
valve thing which in getting worse.   Considering that I had a heart attack at age 64 and have
been a-fib since, hey, I’ve already done extremely well!
“There is a possibility of lasting longer if I lose 10 pounds of water weight and perhaps five or
six more pounds of body fat, according to Malhotra.
“Well, I’ve lost some of both and now weight 168.8.  I plan to drop on down to 160 or so.  I’m
on a strictly no-salt diet.  Barbara is my chef.  True, I’ve turned into a gnarly, bony old
varmint.  But she likes having me around the house, I guess.
“I’ve lost a lot of friends in recent months and especially these last few weeks.  You cannot
imagine how much I enjoyed George Wilson and wife dropping by.  We usually had fruit or
deli.  And there was always the chance that we all might wander up to visit Lee Baby Simms
And others came by on occasion: Bruce Miller Earle, Scotty Brink, Bobby Vee and wife
Karen, Gary Allen, Tom Campbell, Burt Sherwood, George Wilson who came by with
Sherwood, Joey Reynolds, etc.  It was seldom dull at the Hall House. 
“Frankly, I’m going to fight to hang around.  I feel as if Barbara needs me.  I have some books
I’d like to read … just “purchased” several books on Kindle by Jack London, you know:
White Fang,” etc.  And I have both the Clippers and Duke and Texas with basketball games
coming up.  Woody Roberts and Dr. Bob Weisbuch are reading early portions of “George
and Me.”  Woody has already caught me in a couple of goofs.  Bless him!  The years do
“color” the memories.
“I hope you’ll continue to contribute to Vox Jox, just as I’m going to continue to contribute to
it and also enjoy reading it each week.  This last week, Rollye Jamesinfo@voxjox.org --
had a magnificent and very interesting column.  May the Good Lord bless her.”

Woody Roberts:   “Claude,   You’ve gotta hang in there.  I want to finish reading George and
Me, not come to a page that says to be continued….  I know George wants you to finish it
before you come to hang out with him and Dave.
“I have been so out of touch with the computer off that I have a lot of email to catch up with
and haven’t seen Vox Jox in a month.  Ron Jacobs?  Oh no.  Been almost forty years since
I’ve seen him.
“He and Drake in the heyday of KHJ had a major influence on my programming thinking and
we always got along well.  When I visited him on my 1972 trek around the USA he was totally
hospitable and even drove me from San Diego into LA where The Baby picked me up and
took me his lovely home.  Ron knew I had stayed a couple of days with Buzzy ahead of
coming to his place and said, “This is totally weird.”  Ron Jacobs was doing KGB and Buzz
Bennett doing the Q.   Here is a strange coincidence that I didn’t notice until this morning. 
Dr. Bob said he spotted it right away  I am believer in psychosomatic illness.  Circa 1970, my
hypnotherapist (past lives regression) suggested a 1947 book by Dr. Flanders Dunbar called
Mind and Body: Psychosomatic Medicine.  I still have it in my library.  Fascinating read. 
Anyway, when my sudden illness came on it was January 27, very likely the day Lee Baby
killed himself.  My records show you started looking for him the afternoon of January 28.   I
thought at first I had food poisoning because I could not eat anything, hardly drink water, this
went on a week and a half.  And Lee had shot himself in the stomach. Stranger than fiction? 
Well, again my keyboard is telling my lower ribs to lie down for a while.  So…. Get well,
Claude, get well.”

Bob Sherwood:  “Just read today’s column and the mixed news about Kindly Ol’ Uncle
Claude.  It’s obviously ‘mixed’ because it’s about the heart and of how close he came to going
to the Big Publisher in the Sky.  Obviously he’s still with us and has options.  God bless those
“Although I don’t believe we’ve ever met I’ve long been an admirer of your work. Put me
down for a strong “aye ” as to your carrying on—informing and entertaining us weekly and
holding this widely disparate group together.  Please send my warmest wishes for a complete
recovery to Claude. And there’ll be prayers and candles at St. Mary’s tomorrow.  Also,
passionate thanks and warmest regards to Erika Farber for what she and the group did for
John Rook. Erika ….you are the absolute best!!”
Bobby Ocean:  “All I can say is "stay well," Claude, which seems like an understatement. but,
at Boss Radio, I learned the value of an economy of words, how to keep 'em to the point, and
from my heart, mean them.   I know I am a generation removed from the regulars that love
you and surround you, but you have acknowledged me, let me in "the club," and I heartily
appreciate it. You are well loved here as well, by someone you know less than the cronies with
whom you have hung. And deeply respected.   From time to time, I might send along drawings
like these…

                           Ron Jacobs                     

Charlie Tuna

“No strings. Rollye can build up a small library if she wants, toss 'em if they don't fit.. [Thank
you Bobby!  I'd also love you to include some of your stories... Rollye]

Bobby Ocean: “From the first time I learned of you,  Claude, the info was wrapped in high
esteem. I was just a simple disc jockey, didn't grow the muscles necessary to Program or pick
music, didn't know who was who, but my associates kept me in the Loop. They always spoke
of you with reverence and I continued to pick up on it and recognize the above the rest quality
as I saw your work throughout my timeline.  We share some of the same friends, both still
breathing and not. I, too, have stories of Jacobs, his lieutenants Watson and Torres, plus the
highly perceptive PDs that worked broadcastings orchards during the past five decades. I have
Buzz Bennett stories (we were once room mates) that I never hear anyone tell. Maybe I'll get a
chance to bend your eardrums soon.  I'm going to the Jacobs Celebration Of Life next month
on the 16th, perhaps I'll see you there, sure hope so.

Cary Pall:  “I never was very familiar with Ron Jacobs but sure knew KHJ, even though I
never set foot in L.A. I was always so impressed with the writing of KHJ's promos, all written
by Ron in those years. Superbly crafted.   John Rook was one of the first big time PD's I ever
talked to. He was really encouraging to me when I was a baby DJ, and, later, had his protege
(and our convention buddy) Tom Bigby offer me a job at WGNG in Providence. Almost took
it...until Al Casey called from 99X in New York. Rest well, RJ and JR.

Ed Gursky's name is a blast from the past! We worked together briefly at 13Q in Pittsburgh
before Ed went to the greener pastures of government work. He was the king of gallows
humor. I started at 13Q just after Elvis died. During my first week there, I found a cart that
was simply labeled "Burning Love". Played it. Sure enough, "Burning Love" by Elvis started
playing, got through the first line that says "Lord amighty, feel my temperature rising..."
followed by a loud gasp, a crash and a toilet flushing. A Gursky production, I later found out.
Ed went on to eventually land as a field officer for the FCC, when I next crossed paths with
him. I was at KWK in St. Louis doing middays. At the time, KWK had just picked up an FM
and was simulcasting. Doubleday wanted to get the callsign KWK-FM, but were denied this
for a number of years due to the fact that the FM was on the "W" side of the Mississippi River,
licensed to Granite City, IL. So they used the callsign WWWK-FM. We used to read the ID
live on air, and it was a mouthful..."KWK St. Louis, WWWK-FM, Granite City-St. Louis...The
Music Station." One day, as you can imagine, the tongue got a bit tied on this, and I think
there were about six W's in WWWK (ya hate it when that happens). About two minutes later,
the hotline rings...it's Ed Gursky threatening to yank my license for the illegal ID I just did!  
Good to see that Ed is still operating.”

Jerry Del Colliano:  “Rollye and Claude,  A great read this morning.  Such good insights.  Too
bad it is about so many deaths but on the positive side it reminds us of why we love this
business — great, interesting and very unique people.   Great work as always.”

Rollye:  “The too many deaths remind us how quickly the remnants of what made radio great
are slipping away.  It’s so much fun to read Jerry’s InsideMusicMedia.com every morning.  I
can’t imagine where he finds the energy to come up with so much good dirt. He says he
enrolls his contacts in his witness protection program.  When I read what today’s radio is
doing, I think the current players need a witless protection program, though I hate to think of
protecting the guilty.  Speaking of deaths”…

Claude Hall:  “So Frank Sinatra Jr., like all of us eventually, has bought the proverbial
farm.  I’m a little saddened by that, figuring the guy was burdened by a name most of his life. 
I never had that kind of problem, so I can’t imagine his “burden.”  Did he have a decent life?
 I saw him perform once.  He played piano and sang for a birthday party for William B.
Williams, then a god in radio at WNEW, New York.  The place was the fabulous Rainbow
Grill atop 30 Rockefeller.  I don’t know if his father had much, if anything, to do with the
engagement.  That is, I doubt if Frank Senior knew much about the party even though he
supposedly endowed Willie with the title Chairman of the Board.  He may have been in the
audience.  Barbara and I received an invite, I surmise, because I’d sat in on William B.
Williams’ show one morning.  But I recall being surprised that Junior had talent.  He was
good.  He was entertaining.  No, he was not his father.
“Just FYI, among the gifts presented to Willie that evening was a magnum of an excellent
champagne and a fold-up motorscooter.  But I thought at the time that the “gift” of a
performance by Junior was just as valuable if not more so.  And, ah!  The Rainbow Grill!
“I know another good thing about Frank Junior.  Ernie Farrell, for a while a personal friend
of my family, including the family dog Popsie, was once head of promotion for Reprise
Records, the record label owned by Frank Senior and a few friends.  Ernie was involved in a
serious car wreck.  For some reason, it was Frank Junior who came to the hospital and sat by
Ernie’s bedside.  Senior?  The story was that Ernie had fallen from grace by Senior.  I don’t
know why and was always reluctant to ask. According to Ernie.  Ernie could get on your
nerves after a while.  Ask Pat O’Day who named Ernie godfather of his kids, but….  George
Wilson still talked to him until George died, however, sometimes he picked up the phone
rather reluctantly.  I’ll bet Morris Diamond might know the full story.  By the time I knew
Ernie, and he was virtually a member of the family for years, he was head of promotion for
MGM Records headed by Mike Curb and responsible so far as I know in the careers of the
Osmond Brothers as well as Donnie and Marie Osmond.  Ernie was on the payroll of
Sammy Davis Jr. until Sammy passed away.  Anyway, these things above warrant Junior
tribute from us.  We come, we do, we go.  God bless you, Junior.”

Rollye: “Morris, please share.  We can all use a few good Ernie Farrell stories— from his
days in Cleveland, to working with George Goldner, and then whatever happened at Reprise,
I’m sure there’s a treasure trove— and I’d like to hear ‘em all, Morris!  

“Good to know Frank Jr. was there for Ernie, who was in recovery for a year and a half after
that accident.   I, too, was surprised to learn first hand that Jr. could sing.   Philadelphia’s love
of all things Sinatra is well known, but I discovered just how deep the bond was when Sr.
passed away in 1998.  On Fridays, my show followed Sid Mark’s Sounds Of Sinatra.  In ’98,
I was doing the show from Austin, TX more often than I would have liked (it’s a long story,
culminating with me being the only person in Texas history to defeat the LBJ family in open
court in Travis County).  Bob Cole at KVET/KASE was very kind in offering his studios to
me.  He even appointed a young staffer to hang around to ensure the connection was made to
WWDB. All went without a hitch until that Friday when Frank Sinatra passed away.  I
hooked up the ISDN, called the station, and… nothing.  When I finally got Sid Mark on the
phone and asked him to do a level check, he was not amenable.  Frank was dead and nothing
else mattered.  How dare I even interrupt his on air grief.  I understood, but I smile to this day
as I tried to explain to the incredulous kid in Texas that Frank Sinatra dying meant the city
went into mourning. 

“When I moved to WPHT (1210, the old WCAU), Sounds of Sinatra moved too (wholly
unrelated to me).  At some point I got the invitation I couldn’t refuse—  make an appearance
at a Sounds of Sinatra concert with Sid Mark, featuring… Frank Sinatra, Jr.  I did not look
forward to it, to say the least, which was probably why I was stunned at just how good Jr. was.
Closing my eyes, it was almost the resurrection of Frank Sr.  I concur with Claude that Jr.
didn’t have that certain something that propelled Sinatra Sr. to unparalleled pop standards
greatness, but he was undeniably good. And apparently philosophic. Of all the quotes that
have surfaced in the flurry of obits, my favorite was Jr. explaining to the Daytona Beach News
Journal why he didn’t have hit records.  Referencing his love of pop standards in a rock and
roll world, he said:  “I was trying to sell antiques in a modern appliance store.”  

“I still chuckle when I think of the weekly Friday night on air train wreck.  Here was Sid
playing nothing but Sinatra from jazz to MOR, and minutes later, there I was, playing obscure
Philadelphia R&B oldies that even most residents didn’t remember.  And I’d emcee a lot of
concerts. Most of the acts were best remembered on vinyl (to be very very kind) but a few
were standouts.  Eugene Pitt and the Jive Five sent chills down my spine, sounding exactly as
they did on songs like “What Time Is It” and  “My True Story”.  

“Speaking of passings, and Philly musicians, it’s sad to note that Lee Andrews is no longer
with us. Granted, Lee in later years, was no Eugene Pitt on stage, but the volume of music
Lee Andrews & The Hearts left us is impressive, from his hits like “Teardrops” and “Long
Lonely Nights” to obscurities like my fave,  “Why Do I”.  He was 79.”

Rob Frankel:  “I have been following and enjoying Vox Jox since its return. With continued
wishes of good health to Claude, I have to say that he could not have picked a better, more
knowledgeable person to carry it forward. I was reading your tribute to Ron Jacobs and
noticed your mention of his attempted revival of the Cruisin’ series. Back in the
mid-to-late-90s, Tom Shovan gave me a copy of the (unreleased) Cruisin’ 1963 with the
re-creation of Joey Reynolds on WKBW. This one was apparently recorded not long before it
was given to me, considering that Joey managed to slip in an O.J. Simpson joke that one could
connect to the then-current murder case against him. Since you said that Ron approached you
about Cruisin’ in 1985, I’m wondering if this was part of the same attempt at reviving the
series, and if not, was Ron involved in this one? I’m considering submitting it to Reelradio
once Uncle Ricky recovers from his injury, and any background information you could
provide would be very helpful. Also (if you would care to share this), I’m curious as to who
you recommended to Ron for his Cruisin’ revival.   Anyway, I’m really enjoying Vox Jox,
even if there have been too many damned obituaries lately. But as the man said, we come, we
do, we go.”

Rollye:  “Uncle Ricky (Rick Irwin) had an accident?  I'm not aware, but I will write to him as
soon as I put this column to bed.  Sending good thoughts as I type.  If you're not a subscriber
to ReelRadio.com, you're missing out on supporting and enjoying the world's best radio
aircheck repository.  And it's only $10!    You mentioned Tom Shovan!  Too bad he’s no
longer among us.  Tom had some of the best radio stories ever, and he told them with such
flourish!  Tom as the world’s largest weather man,  the station owner who catered his own
arson fire, and the fate of the missing NAB shrimp, all instantly come to mind.  I miss him. 
As for Joey Reynolds doing a Cruisin’ album for 1963, not under Ron Jacobs’ watch.   The
way I recall it, the first batch, 1956 through 1962, was released in June, 1970 and distributed
by Chess, which had been bought by GRT in ’69.  Here’s the flyer”…..

“Another two albums,  1955 and 1963 were released in January 1972.   I know Ron was
involved with ’63, as Tom Rounds forever kidded me about it.  I was working at Watermark a
few years later and Tom was reminiscing about how hard it was to get B. Mitchell Reed
amped up enough to recreate his WMCA days.  With somewhat feigned horror, I enquired,
‘You mean you didn’t just clean up old air checks?’  Rounds bought it, broke into laughter and
proclaimed me a hopeless romantic.  (Little did he know, that would be exactly what would be
done with the 1969 Cruisin' release year's later, which I’ll get to momentarily.)   The third and
final set, under Jacobs’ auspices came out in September 1973, featuring 1964 through 1967.  
Johnny Holliday can tell us more about ’64, as he was the jock on it.   Johnny?

“By 1983, Howard Silvers, who had been the sales manager for GRT, owned “Increase
Records”.  How that transaction went down is something that perhaps someone reading this
will know.  (Please contribute if that’s you.)   In ’83, Silvers re-released 1955 through 1967 on
vinyl, but what enraged Jacobs was the way music rights were handled.  Apparently the rights
didn’t fully transfer with the label ownership.   The “when in doubt, strip it out,” method,
replacing original recordings with alternate versions, was evidently the easy solution to failed
negotiations.  That was enough to put Jacobs over the top.  When he called me in ’85, it was
with the hope of getting the rights back to the earlier volumes (by manner, which eludes me
now) and adding years after '67.  

“I appreciate your “knowledgable” comment, Rob, but you’re going to take it back when you
read this:  Try as I might, I can’t recall even one name I provided to Ron.  Admittedly ’68
forward would have been past my personal favorite years, but even so, it’s pretty lame of me
not to remember anything.  My apologies.  Silvers added two volumes in 1988—  1968 with
Johnny Dark and 1969 with Harve Moore, and a final one in 1995,  Kris Erik Stevens.  To
hear Moore tell it, Silvers did his from an old aircheck.   The only part Moore recreated was
an intro and an outro.  I don’t know, but I’m assuming Johnny Dark’s volume was also from
an original air check, maybe Kris Erik Stevens’ too.  Kris?

“In the 1990s, Cruisin’ was released on CD by K-Tel.   From what I understand, this was a
deal with Silvers, using his masters, not Ron Jacobs’ originals.”

Sid Grubbs (The Mojo Man):  “The Whole page isn't coming thru.  Thanks.”

Rollye:  “Apparently The Mojo Man is in the unlucky 10%— which is a small group of you
who sign up to receive Vox Jox in your Inbox and get parts of it, or complete gibberish.  I can
control a lot, but not the particulars of everyone’s email program.  For those plagued by the
problem I contemplated two solutions.  One was to send a plain text version— but then you’d
miss out on the pictures and graphics.  The other was to include the VoxJox.org URL in the
subject line, so the email would serve as a reminder and easy clickable way to see the column
online.  I went with that.    If you’ve been having trouble signing up, try again.  I removed the
captcha picture, so all you have to do is enter your email address— but the catch here is you
won’t be on the list if you don’t reply to a confirming email that will be sent to the address
you provide. So once you sign up, look for that email!   And in answer to Art’s question… 
Yes,  send all column items to me at info@voxjox.org”…..

Art Wander:  “Rollye - Just an inquiry but since I usually send items generally to Claude for
VoxJox do I now send them here? I tried to subscribe for e-mail of voxjox as advised, but had
no luck and simply call up voxjox on google.  By the way, so much sadness after reading the
last Voxjox on the passing of the much respected Ron Jacobs, Charlie Tuna, John Rook
They represented part of the best of the "Great Family of Great Radio."  This, of couse,
includes Chuck Blore, Mel Phillips, Ken Dowe, so many others and let's hope that the ills of
Woody Roberts will result in recovery. Also noted was the item by Marcia Fox.  You might
want to get in touch with her.......here's a radio lady who has a wealth of memories of the great
battles in Hartford between WPOP and WDRC.   POP had the greatest of personalities on the
air and Marcia grew up with the station.  And one more note, Claude Hall is a radio legend
who is a very respected member  of the "Great Family" through his close association with all
the great people in radio at the time of the emergence of top 40 radio - and beyond.”

George Jay:  “Rollye, Just want to thank you for your work here. Without Vox Jox, radio
would've passed quietly on to a Clear Heart night! As we come, do and go, it's nice to know
we'll not be forgotten. Going is a natural thing, but it's been so much fun. We thought we'd
sing and dance forever and a day.  I love that we are all so connected in the most
quintessential, spiritual and virtual ways.  Kind of like when the spouse goes, do does its mate.
Self destruction's the same....  That what’s-his-name was crazy is inimical to what he actually
accomplished. Unbeknownst to the public, (And ourselves) we were all crazy. It was drugs, it
was sex, it was rock 'n' roll. That's when  i-heart superseded it's origins.  Let's not kid
ourselves: business IS business. I'm glad to say we laid the groundwork and that is what we
are all reveling in today.

“By the way, Lee Abrams called me a 'crazy' news man in his blog. I had just come from
Wyoming. Six months before I was at NAB station award-winning KIMN in Denver
channeling J Paul Emerson when we started WICV in Chicago. Were we geniuses? Hell yes.
Were we crazy? The stories here in Vox Jox haven't scratch the broad surface of what we did.
The synchronicity. The ubiquitous, osmotic, revelatory nature of what occurred in Western
culture has never yet been aptly described.”

Rollye:  “Speaking of not to be forgotten, hard to believe it’s 21 years since Charlie Minor’s
untimely passing (3/19/95).  Don Sundeen reminds us”…

Don Sundeen:  “Here’s the original E True Hollywood Story to remind us of his legend. I’d
just like to say that Charlie was always really good to me and always had time to ask how I
was doing..etc.  I first met him when he went out on the road from Atlanta, the record business
was his life and he mastered it.  God bless his rock and roll soul.”

Rollye:  “The above YouTube video won’t show up in an email link, so if you’re reading this
in your inbox, or otherwise don’t see it, click on https://youtu.be/kTvXd2D0clY.   Warning: 
It's over two hours-- but if you don't know the details, it's a fascinating, entertaining watch.  
On a totally different subject, how about going to a free play in New York about a female disc
jockey?  It’s before most of our times, but interesting.  Here’s the press release”….

Kevin P McAnarney:  “'The Disc Jockey Was A Lady', a new play with music written by, and
starring Dolly Ellen Friedman will be presented at the Bruno Walter Auditorium (Lincoln
Center Library of the Performing Arts), 40 Lincoln Plaza – Enter on Amsterdam at 65th
Street) at 158 West 72nd Street (bet Broadway -Columbus Ave) on Thursday, April 14th at
6:00pm.  Admission is Free for this delightful, fun, warm and heart-full show that features
songs of the forties from such composers as Cole Porter, Duke Ellington and Rodgers and
Hart and others.  The show also features musical theatre veteran actor Ross Hewitt. It is
directed by Alyson Reim and staged by Broadway choreographer Sharon Halley. Phil Hall is
the Musical director and arranger. 

“The Disc Jockey Was A Lady is a show with real stories based on life during World War II, It
tells the story about life in NYC and Brooklyn during this time--when the men were away, and
ladies assumed all kinds of jobs that they never imagined would be a part of their lives.  Dosh
Wallach, a lady disc jockey who love playing those terrific songs from the 40s to the radio
audience --especially to the service men and women to remind them that--though they were
away, they were not in the least forgotten.  She would regale the radio audience with her
stories of how the war impacted life in New York with tales about victory gardens, ration
coupons, war bonds, learning to distinguish enemy planes, school air raid drills mixed with
anecdotes of everyday life that would make the service folk smile and think of the loved ones
waiting for them to come home.  Dosh was one of the voices that reminded them of "home." 
She received postcards and v-mail requesting favorite songs from service men in honor of
girlfriends, wives, children or parents, and she'd happily read their correspondence as well as
spinning the songs they wanted to hear--all to keep the home fires burning. 

Dolly Ellen Friedman has spent a lifetime in publicity, and decided to dramatize the World
War II stories she remembered so vividly.  She joined The Philhallmonics (a professional
singing group of all women who performed regularly at Lincoln Center, and throughout the
area produced by Karen Arlington and created by Phil Hall). Dolly was smitten with the
theater bug and loved singing the songs of the Great American songbook.”

Rollye:  “My grateful thanks for your contributions and kind thoughts to all of you who
weighed in this week— especially to Claude.  True confession:  I didn’t realize how much
effort went into compiling this column.  I should have known, having written Vox Jox in
Billboard for three years, but that’s over three decades ago now.  Adding a bit of html coding
and putting Claude's words on a website with the occasional comment was nothing. 
Compiling it from scratch— suffice it to say, my admiration for Claude is even greater, if
that’s possible.   Given the precarious state of Claude’s health, that he did this himself as long
as he did, is truly stunning.  I’m going to hold him to his pledge that he’s going to fight to
hang around, and I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure he’s still hanging around with us
through whatever he wants to contribute to this column.   But I gotta admit, this past week put
my sincerity of helming this effort to the test.   My total employee roster for the two radios
stations we own is one part time morning man and a volunteer reporter.  Both were out for
surgery.  After compiling the last column at 4 a.m.,  I was morning and afternoon drive host,
evening reporter on the various town councils and the go-to person for the usual small market
issues all week long.   Then there a medical trip to Phoenix causing me to automate everything
and pray I'd still be on the air,  and the online show I do... bringing me to wonder how eager
I’d be to tackle Vox Jox today.  But as this week’s typing is drawing to a close at close to
midnight, the verdict is in:  the hours I spend reminiscing with all of you have been the most
pleasurable of the week.  Thank you.”